Add finishing touches to a magazine cover using the powerful typography features in InDesign.
Download sample assets to follow along: https://adobe.ly/3mHDNX3
What you learned: Add and format text on a path to finish a magazine cover design
Text can be added to any type of path using the Type On A Path tool. You start by creating the path or shape and add text to the outside.
1. Select a frame tool in the Toolbar such as the Ellipse Frame tool.
2. Draw a frame. You can then use the shape to add text to a path in your design.
3. To create more than one text on a path, paste a copy of the original frame: Choose Edit – Copy, and then choose Edit – Paste In Place.
4. Resize the frame from the center by pressing Option+Shift (macOS) or Alt+Shift (Windows) and dragging a corner of the frame with the Selection tool. Release the mouse button and then the key.
5. Repeat the previous two steps to copy the selected frame and make the copy smaller yet.
Add text to the first path
With a path in place, you can now add text to it.
1. Press and hold the Type tool in the Toolbar to select the Type On A Path tool.
2. Move the pointer over the edge of the frame. When the pointer shows a plus (+), click to be able to add text around the path.
3. Type the text.
Format the text
1. Click three times with the Type On A Path tool to select the text.
2. Change the formatting like the color, font size, and font family in the Properties panel.
Where you click on the ellipse is where the text starts on the path. To move the text, or to rotate it, you can either drag the frame or rotate it.
– Select the Selection tool in the Toolbar, and move the pointer over a corner of the frame bounding box. When rotate arrows appear, drag to rotate the frame and the text.
Save the formatting and apply it to other text
After adding text to the other frames, you can see that the text formatting reverts back to the default formatting. In other words, it doesn’t look like the text you formatted. To capture the formatting from the first text, you can save it as a paragraph style and then apply it.
1. Insert the cursor in the formatted text.
2. In the Text Style section of the Properties panel, click the Create Style button to save the text formatting. Rename the style, and press Return or Enter to accept it.
3. Insert the cursor in the other text, and select the style name from the style menu in the Properties panel to apply the formatting.
Continue learning in Adobe InDesign: https://adobe.ly/3mIFjs3
Adobe Creative Cloud gives you the world’s best creative apps so you can turn your brightest ideas into your greatest work across your desktop and mobile devices.
To watch with Subtitles/closed captions, click the CC icon in the lower-right corner.