Create an artistic repeating pattern.
Start from scratch, or download practice files [https://adobe.ly/2mJp1RI] for a head start. Steps below.
1. Open your drawing, or use ours (pattern-effect_start.ai).
2. Choose the Selection tool and drag to select the artwork.
3. Make a pattern: Choose Object – Pattern – Make. Click on an object in the pattern. Hover over the outside corner of the selection and drag to rotate the object. Click on another object and drag a selection handle to resize it.
4. Set the Pattern Type: Choose Hex by Column from the Tile drop down. Check Size Tile to Art.
5. Set spacing between object: Set the H Spacing and V Spacing to -20 px each. Set the Overlap property to Bottom in Front. Check Done.
6. Create a document with the pattern: Open the Swatches panel (Window – Swatches). Choose the Rectangle tool, then draw a rectangle across the canvas. Drag the new pattern from the Swatches on to the rectangle.
To learn more, visit our Illustrator Tutorials page.
Adobe Creative Cloud gives you the world’s best creative apps so you can turn your brightest ideas into your greatest work across your desktop and mobile devices.